Saturday, April 18, 2009

Ed Byrne(St.John's Evening Telegram April 15,2009)

Dear Editor,
I address this letter to the author and creator of the editorial cartoon carried in the Thursday, April 9th. edition of your paper on page A6.
The cartoon was a caricature of Mr. Ed Byrne, a gentleman recently fallen from grace.
It depicted Mr. Byrne’s rather studious face, and carried a comment by the character of Mr. Byrne saying: I am not looking for house arrest...but cabin arrest would be nice...
That editorial cartoon is so mean, so callous, so editorially barbarous, so small, and so cowardly, it made me sick. I cannot guess the intended audience, for it was not funny, not entertaining, not particularly perspicacious, showed no evidence of any rational, intellectual thought, exhibited no cleverness, no intelligence. It was simply nasty.
Mr. Byrne, his family and friends have suffered, are suffering, will suffer. Mr.Byrne is down. Is that a really good time to kick him?
Since I am a taxpayer, I guess I am a victim of Mr. Byrne’s trespass. So, for the few pennies of my injury, I forgive Mr. Byrne, utterly, completely. Without qualification. That is my prerogative.
Sometimes life knocks us down. Sometimes we knock ourselves down. Yet, being down and getting up strengthens us, and we are often renewed.
You may not know it. Your editors may not know it. Your readers may not know it. Your garbageman may not know it. My ancestors long dead may not know it. The Pope may not know it. But I know it. I know that someday Mr. Ed Byrne, shall rise.
In the meantime, let’s be decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment