Monday, February 2, 2009

My favorite poem

listen beloved i dreamed
it appeared that you thought to escape me and
became a great lily atilt on insolent waters
but i was aware of fragrance and i
came riding upon a horse of porphyry
into the waters i rode down the red horse shrieking
from splintering foam caught you clutched you upon my mouth

listen beloved i dreamed
in my dream you had desire to thwart me
and became a little bird and hid in a tree of tall marble
from a great way i distinguished singing and
i came riding upon a scarlet sunset
trampling the night easily
from the shocked impossible tower i caught you
strained you broke you upon my blood

listen beloved i dreamed
i thought you would have deceived me and
became a star in the kingdom of heaven
through day and space i saw you close your eyes
and i came riding upon a thousand crimson years
arched with agony
i reined them in tottering before the throne and
as they shied at the automaton moon
from the transplendant hand of sombre god
i picked you as an apple is picked
by the little peasants for their girls

by E.E.Cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment